At Kim Chang Piano Studio in Edmonton, pupils will be taught to govern the posture, phonology, pulse and personality. Effective use of 5 fingers to gain independence together with quality tone production will be well emphasized at this stage. These fundamental principles will be taught in tandem with the following:
- hearing the ‘inner sound’, focused on playing with the best tone quality before a key is struck, play it and evaluate the sound
- discussing performance issues like tempos, ornamentations, fingerings, phrasings, pedaling, stylistic aspects of the composers and era including communication through the personal insight of the music and instrument
- develop the economical of movement with efficiency use of technique and fingerings which encompasses the whole body besides the fingers and arms
- promoting intelligent practice outside the piano lessons and addressing practice methodology
I also encourage student to do some projects at home such as:
- Listen to music on Soundcloud or YouTube and make commentaries based on their listening observations
- Reading up on a composers that they are currently learning or interested to learn about
- Research on the genre and historical perspectives
I teach solely to impart my skills, knowledge, cultivate learning and music appreciation as an enjoyable experience.
The exam can be a benchmark to measure level of attainment but not compulsory.
I do not confine my teaching to learn only classical repertoires, I also teach jazz, classical style pop songs and contemporary music.
I will not ‘fast track’ my students for exams or competitions by compromising their musical and artistry development.